Post Break Blues & FOCUS

You remember that awful winter we had last year? The one where we had I think 9 (or was it 11?) days off of school (that wasn't the awful part), and we couldn't get our cars out of the driveway, and everybody freaked out about ice dams, and roofs leaking, and it was so cold that our concrete patios cracked? And then how everybody said this year was going to be the same or worse, so then a bunch of people went out and got snow tires, and all the salt and snow shovels sold out of stores immediately, and even the city bought more snow plows?
Yeh, it's basically an early spring here.
Twice it's been so warm in my car that I rolled down the window! It's been sunny and 40s a lot, it even got up to 50 one day. But the best part is that the snow is still perfectly laying on the grassy patches on the side of the road and on most lawns and rooftops - but not on roads and sidewalks, just like in all the Hallmark Christmas movies. I don't know why it's not melting, but I'm not complaining, it's pretty to look at. Part of me feels that, yes please, let's have an early spring and basically confine  winter weather to Christmas week - but part of me would also reallllly like a few snow days off of school. I just didn't get quite enough vacation time. My list of to-do's seemed to grow instead of shrink. Either I wanted to just sit on the couch and veg on TV until bedtime, or lay in bed and read all day, or I got on a deep-cleaning kick, or a "special project"bender - which were all good, but none of those days was enough of that thing... even though we were pretty much recluses for this last week (I think I actually left the house only 3 times all week and did NO grocery shopping until Saturday when I had zero choice... yeh we ate Christmas/NYE leftovers + whatever was in the pantry and freezer this whole time) it STILL didn't feel like enough time off!

I spent time things of the year to come, thinking about goals, and resolutions. I would feel excited and hopeful and then almost always that would be followed by anxiety or frustration. I get so distracted, just like sitting down to write this - I've gotten up at least a dozen times, flipped to other websites to look at recipes, opened Publisher to start a project, not do mention made dinner, put a child in the tub, cleaned a spot on the wall... gah! so many distractions!
I've noticed the last few years, people have been choosing a single word to focus on for the New Year instead of making a list of goals, like strength, or joy... I think I'm going to choose FOCUS. I'm not exactly sure how I will implement this... but I'm curious to try. We did begin one thing that I've been wanting to do for a little while and that is having a family meeting, and there we discussed ways to focus our together time - like having a family fun night every week (we brainstormed ideas for this), and a family fun outing every other month (brainstorming was tabled for next month's meeting), we talked about screen time, allowance, family goals. It was good. I set reminders on my phone to help me FOCUS and remember to continue this plan. However part of this word-goal means less time on my phone and more time focusing on the more important things in life. 
Anyway, not so much ready to go back to work - it seems to get harder instead of easier every time I have to go back. But at least the kids are excited! So ready or not, here we come.



Comments

Popular Posts