Pin of the Week: One Pot Pasta (with broccoli)

You guys, I did it! I actually tried a meal recipe instead of a dessert one - and it was good! If you know me, you know I don't like vegetables and that includes broccoli, but lately I've been liking broccoli with lemon, garlic, and parmesan - and everyone liked it (well, I don't know that Liam liked it exactly, but he ate it all in the span of an hour and a half, without tears - so yeh, he liked it)! We don't eat a lot of pasta, for the carbs, but Carolina loves it - and I happened to have all the ingredients in my fridge/pantry/garden so I went for it.
*I have no pictures, I thought of it as I was eating, but I decided to keep on eating instead.*
It's a Martha recipe, so you have to kind of figure it's going to be good, but the weird thing is that there aren't specific amounts for the ingredients - just directions, I looked in the comments section below the recipe to get some idea... Here's what it said:
1 box pasta
1 head of broccoli
6 TBSP Olive Oil
5 Cloves garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 pound Parm. cheese
1/2 a lemon (Juice and zest)**** When I did it, i used a whole lemon and it just seemed like way to much
little dash of garlic and onion powder
little dash of dried basil

Here's what I'll say about my modifications, and how it turned out:
- I used whole wheat pasta
- I didn't use the whole head of broccoli, it was a huge one, maybe 3/4
- I eyeballed the olive oil, it probably wasn't 6 tablespoons
- I added the garlic last, after I'd dished the kids (Carolina's sort of allergic, this turned out to be a good call anyway because...), I added the 5 cloves it said - this was not great, I mean it was good but very spicy and my mouth still tastes strongly of garlic. Next time I'd do 3 cloves maybe.
- Again, I just eyeballed how much parmesan I put it - it probably wasn't a pound, but it was a good bit
- I zested and juiced a whole (small) lemon - and it definitely wasn't too lemony, maybe could've even used some more
- I did not add dashes of seasonings (other than salt and pepper)
- I did add some fresh basil, chopped up, from my garden - yumm
- Next time, I'll throw in some pine nuts - they would be superb in this

I love how much food this made - easily fed our family with plenty for Todd's lunch tomorrow - and really it was simple, inexpensive, and easy - plus there's no need for a side, although the kids had fruit. I'm so proud of myself that I actually made something healthy that I enjoyed eating! Two thumbs up! Here's the link!

Comments

Popular Posts