Passion Iced Tea Lemonade: Skinnier & Cheaper

Iced shaken Passion Tea Lemonade is one delicious drink from Starbucks - but it is pricey and has quite a few more calories than you'd think. So one lovely day, when I was at Target (shocker) I discovered that the Tazo Passion tea on sale, as well as some nice plastic beverage dispensers - kismet! (I already have one, but it's dedicated to iced coffee - and I'm afraid the taste of any other beverage would be tainted.) So I decided to try my hand at making my own version of this iced summery treat. Oddly enough, the next day or so I saw someone pinning a recipe for homemade Passion Tea Lemonade on Pinterest - theirs had actual lemonade in it. Yummy, I'm sure - but mine's only got 20 calories! Yah! 
I just put as many tea bags as I wanted to use in the jug - poured in the appropriate amount of hot water (8 oz. per bag) and added a few cups more to get the most out of those bags - and then set it in the sun for a while, for good measure. I'm sure it didn't need the sun, the hot water had it looking like this in 10 minutes - but I left it there for a while anyway. Maybe half an hour. Then popped it in the fridge! The next morning I added a very small amount of the agave to the bottom of my cup (I forget the measurement 1/8 or 1/4 oz., but it amounted to about 15 calories), ice, tea, then squeezed a 1/4 of a lemon in, and swirled it around a bit.  It's SO tasty! This has actually replaced my morning iced coffee!  The tea is already fairly sweet and therefore doesn't need a bunch of agave - plus a quarter of a lemon is a good amount of citrus, but only about 3 calories - vs. about 60 calories in 1/2 cup of Simply Lemonade. Honestly, I'd say I prefer this to Starbucks - not too sweet, or parching (which lemonade can often be for me), and best of all: low cal!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts