No Diets

So I learned this week that what I've been doing lately isn't is a diet - it's just "being healthy". Hm, sure feels like a diet. :)
I've mentioned it a bit here and there but just thought I'd share why and what I'm doing to be/get healthy/thinner. Basically this fall and winter I pinned my little heart out and then baked on a weekly basis (or more *cringe*), it was fun - really fun, especially the part where I got to eat all the delicious treats... oh yeh and I didn't really ever stop myself from eating whatever I wanted. Plus no exercise, I enjoying couching it with Todd and watching lots of glorious prime time. It was a good few seasons.
And then January rolls around, New Year's Resolutions etc. etc., but nothing gets taken seriously until the first hints of spring peek through and remind me that pool season is coming, and I start thinking about swimsuits (especially since I've worn my last few completely threadbare), and then I take a look at myself. Hm, again.
So I've been working hard for the last couple of months with what seems like fairly little results. I didn't have a scale to start with, so I haven't been watching lbs, but my belt needs to be a notch tighter and things seem a little less flabby, so it's a good sign.
What I've been doing...
Counting calories using My Fitness Pal, mostly as an app on my iPhone, but you can also use the website - it's free!!! I did this last time I wanted to lose weight after Liam, and it really worked - only I had to pay for that one, ha! It's totally eye-opening, and has definitely changed the way I look at food (before I stuff it in my face). I need more protein, usually a lot more - so I found these Stabilyze protein bars at Costco that actually taste good! I've tried others that were totally gross. The nice this is that though most protein bars have a bunch of sugar and calories, these are made for diabetics (although anyone is good to use them) so they have significantly less sugar and calories, for 10 grams of protein. Pretty good for a breakfast replacement (maybe with a banana). I'm still on the lookout for a bar with just a bit more protein, and low calories - in the meantime, this is a good option.
For a little extra boost - I've been taking a multi-vitamin, Biotin supplements (for skin and hair, and I actually think it's working), and a probiotic daily. It can't hurt, right?
Exercising with Jillian Michaels! I really like her workouts. I used to have the 30 Day Shred on DVD but lost it. Good news - it's free on YouTube, so I just turn on Todd's game consoles and go to town. I've also enjoyed trying a few other workouts - yoga, kickboxing... maybe some Zumba one day. I love this one though because I get to stay at home, inside with air-conditioning,a nd all I need are some hand weights (already had), and half an hour. I know I could do more - but if I stick to my calories and throw in some exercise (which is a lot more than the none I was doing before), it should eventually pay off. Although my goal is 6 days a week, I rarely get past 4, it's hard with little kids!
I know it's harder the older you get, and so I truly hope that I can get to my goal weight and then adjust my 'not a diet' diet to maintain - keep watching what I eat, and keep exercising. Of course I want to be healthy, but I (like probably most people, I assume) feel better about myself with I feel in shape and look thinner.
Anywho, this is what worked for me last time and I'm crossing my fingers it will work again. The pool could open in a month or less at this point and Vegas is only 1.5 months away - so I know I might be thinking wishfully, but still, something's better than nothing :)

Comments

Popular Posts