Back-to-School

My first full week of work with kids (without kids almost doesn't count) is over, at 3:15 anyway. Hooray! 
A week has never lasted longer, I'm sure of it. It was pretty crummy to have kids start school on a Monday - usually we start on a Wednesday so we can all ease into it. But we started full-throttle, like so many of Desert Springs' other "activities"... we just don't do things by halves.
I think I'm going to have a nice class. So far I've got 23 kids, and pretty close to even boy:girl ratio - which is nice. There are a couple of handfuls, but thankfully it only seems like a couple, for now anyway - you can't always tell at first :) It was quite a shock on the first day of school realizing teh adjustment I was going to have to make from big 4th graders to little 2nd graders - who need to be told when to wipe their nose, need their shoes tied for them, can't follow written directions, and - oh yeh - can't read yet (at least, not very well).  But by now, I'm mostly adjusted, and I looooove how sweet they are - they all want to give hugs (even the boys) and tell me how pretty, nice, fun, etc. I am. It's quite the ego boost. But if I'm a little harsh on them, they cry. So there's the trade off.
Exciting things look like they're going to happen at our school this year - we've known about it since summer, but certain higher-ups can't make up their minds, so we wait and wait. I hope I get to tell you the good news soon!
Not quite ready for school to start, judging by the state of my desk.
This is what I'm hoping for!


Comments

Popular Posts