Weeklyish: August 6-19

Goodness gracious - just like that, summer is over. Even though it's still August the weather is already noticeably changing towards fall. The mornings and evenings are cooler, and darker as well. The sun is behind the trees much earlier which makes getting in a swim in the heat a little more challenging. The first week was FULL - not exactly fun though, mostly checking off tasks from my summer to-do- list, but I did manage to squeeze in one more book - and definitely a good one!
I tried so hard to finish the last bit of work leftover from putting in the new floors - scraping the caulk from the gap between the old and new floor, then recaulking above all the baseboards, then painting the wall, what I didn't get to was repainting all of the baseboards. Boo, I really tried hard, but I had a lot of issues with picking paint :(
What I did (mostly) finish was my office! I don't know why I put this off for so long - all I needed to do was paint the room (well and do all of the baseboard buisiness) - I painted the walls from a dark green to an attempted white several years ago, but it never looked right, kind of minty. I hated it - so I finally had my painter match the trim color and purchased that for all the walls except for the back one - which is trying to be black - but I've literally purchased 3 paints trying to get it not to look blue (but I still think it does - I have one more paint to try). I got a lamp and rug, and rearranged the wall decor and I LOVE it!


Then Todd was gone over our "last" weekend of summer so it was just the kids and I, which I was kind of looking forward to, but the kids have HAD it with each other. They were fed up and SO ready to be back in school. It was not a very fun weekend for them or me unfortunately. Monday I went back to work officially, and it was fine. I lived. But my general feelings were more like this...
Yeh, I always cry when it's time to go back to school - until now it's been because I have to leave a "baby" for someone else to watch while I work, but this is the first year that my kids are in school full time. So I think my weepiness this year was perhaps more to do with really just feeling more than summer was over... more like a whole season of life is coming to an end. Todd is feeling this too I think, we've been kind of clingy to the kids if that's the right way to say it - trying to spend more quiet time with them, reading, or taking an hour to put them to bed, watching movies together, Todd took Liam on a walk the other morning, indulging every request to do some activity that involves togetherness. I'm feeling sad, like they are so big, but then I remember that 1st grade means she has 12 years of school ahead of her - and that sound like a lot (right now) - and I don't need to be so melancholy about it.
Pretty sure I always feel some version of these feelings come August, but it always takes me by semi-surprise anyways. Currently feeling a weird feeling of limbo - still not wanting summer to be over, vacation or the season, but also maybe kind of ready for fall and a change, feeling the tough transition from a slower pace to the crazy schedule we now have to keep. We're just in between, and it's uncomfortable. It will be fine. We will live. I have to keep telling myself that. I'll try not to sigh myself to death in the meantime.

Comments

Popular Posts