Trouble with Tantrums

Yeh, so 18 months really isn't  my favorite age... and 19 isn't ranking higher on that list as of yet - we'll we're only 4 days in, but still. Some days she's all sweetness and light, and some days it's nothing but screaming and fits, like throw-herself-on-the-ground-kicking fits. Flicks on the mouth don't work - she literally laughs at me like I'm tickling her. So we've been doing time-outs. I don't know how effective they are, but at least she mildly dislikes them. She's also taken to putting baby dolls and Ripley in time-out.
I had heard about this book, Bringing Up Bebe, when it came out a little while ago and thought it sounded interesting. Well the first chapter was free on iBooks, and it got me, I purchased the rest. I'm liking it so far. I'll let you know how it turns out. Anyone got a copy of The Strong Willed Child? It's an oldie, but I hear - a goodie :)

Comments

  1. I do!!! copyright 1987. my mom recently gave it to me. You can borrow it! Sometimes amidst the tantrum I ask child #2, "do you need a hug?" sometimes that helps. Sometimes just sending her to her room for some quiet time helps. Sometimes apple juice/snack/coffee helps perk her up. Sometimes a complete distraction- like getting the mail where it removes her from the situation/floor. I think it's a 2nd kid thing maybe- gotta keep up with the first and exert some power/attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have home movies of my tantrums. I don't have them very often anymore--so there's hope. Mother ignored me until I learned I wasn't going to get my way. I guess time out is similar. Be consistent. I love her and you for working to make her a good girl.
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts