no more pencils, no more books...

no more teacher's dirty looks...

I oughtta be jumping for joy right now - school's out for summer after all...
Teacher's, at least some - me being one - spend the last month (or two) of school wishing away the weeks, waiting until that last day, that last minute when we all line up and wave the buses goodbye until we can't see them anymore, and we're free! I feel like that last month (ahem, or two) is just spent trying to summon the energy and patience to scrape by, to keep the kids busy and quiet and out of trouble. After my first year of teaching I wasn't even a little bit sad to see those kids go and start my summer of laziness and relaxation. After my second year I wasn't sad because I had a little baby to take care of and a vacation to leave for the next day! I didn't mis them although I did love those kids, and I knew I would sorely miss them come August when I got a new batch. Maybe I've just had too much time to think. No vacation to rush off too, no sun to go out and bathe in, not even any work to do in my classroom (the one I'm moving into is being very slowwwwly moved out of by my predecessor). Everyday when the kids get on the bus I have them give me a hug or high-5, but on the last day I got down on my knees so we weren't rushed and nobody would try to get away without giving me a hug. I wished them all a good summer, told them I would miss them, and everyone gave me a hug... and some gave me very long hugs. They held on so tight, for so long, and looked a bit tearful as they walked away. I usually think only about how I feel/will feel about leaving my class, and this year I really thought about how the kids feel/felt. I know many of them have fantastic families and fun summer plans, but there are several who don't. I forget that we spend nearly as much time together as we do with our families... and that we essentially become a family... and nobody likes to say goodbye to family. Realizing this has made me miss the kids, and feel bad that I didn't appreciate them more, that I didn't have more patience or energy for them when I had them... We tore down and emptied out the classroom and it was a blatantly obvious that a period of my life was over, and maybe it was a combination of those things that has me a little depressed. I'm not quite excited about teaching 4th since I'm still being sad about leaving 2nd - even though it was what I wanted. I'm going to do my best to live and learn. I know I have some things I need to work on next year. And some prayers I need to pray for some kiddos I know, and some that I don't yet.

Comments

  1. I understand some of those feelings. You are family and you are definitely with those kids more waking hours than anyone else. I actually had a parent give me a Mother's Day gift one time for that very reason. And prayer is the best thing you you can do- for those that you know are in need and for those you will influence next year.
    Your momma prays for you, loves you very much and is very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Jess! And soooo true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I re-read your blog and Katie is right- it is beautiful!
    All the stages that children go through can have their challenges but appreciate each one. You are a wonderful mom and teacher!
    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, there are such mixed feelings this time of year. My room is bare as of today, that makes me sad. Especially when I'm not sure if I will have a new classroom next year or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts