Help!

Sad day. At this moment in time Liam appears to be done with breastfeeding. For the past few days he's had more and more trouble latching onto anything other than a bottle. Today I let him cry for a half hour while I tried everything I could think of to get him to breastfeed, but none of it worked; so he got his bottle and I drove to school to get the pump. He's been taking a bottle since he was only a few days old, and since I've gone back to school he's been doing just fine with 1/2 bottle, 1/2 breast... but like I said, it's just been the last 3 days-ish that he just won't even try to b-feed. I realize that since I'm working I'm not producing as much milk as I used to, but when I pump I get at least two ounces, so I know he's getting something when he does try.
Grr... I'm just totally feeling helpless, frustrated and blue about it; I'm hoping that one of you mommies out there can relate and give me some advice. How can I get him to use both methods of feeding? What should I do? Is there a reason?

Comments

  1. Between 1 and 2 months Lily went through about a 3 wek period where she didn't want to breast feed. We were not giving her a bottle at the time. I was getting ready to give up when she started eating good again. I wouldn't give up right away. He might just be going through a little time were he doesn't want it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb is actually going through something simillar right now....but it is with food in general. He will take his whole milk, but not food. I have asked around and a lot of moms have said that this is normal for kids to not be as hungry after a big growing period. And they will start to eat normal again when they are ready. So I am trying not to stress...haha...it is hard when your kids don't eat.
    Plus, Emma did that when she was a baby too. Would take the breast or bottle. Didn't want anything. She did it for a few weeks them started eating on her own again!
    And I have heard of kids just giving it up on their own...not fun for mommy, but sometimes we just get strong willed kiddos! I know I have been blessed with two! HeeHee!
    Hang in there girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I had that problem too- if your not making as much milk and you're determined to keep breastfeeding, pump like crazy everytime he doesn't eat a meal...and take fenugreek (sp)? I swear by that stuff, helped me go from like 2 oz. eventually to like 8 oz. each time I pumped. Hope this helps- email me if not k?
    xo-Miss

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts