4 Weeks Old (and not so happy)...

Can't believe he was born 4 weeks ago - it feels like yesterday and like forever ago at the same time! We are so happy God surprised us with him!
On a more bummer of a note - the last few days have been rough because Liam is having trouble again. I can say with some confidence that it's not colic, at least not as defined by all the baby books - because he is consolable - it just takes almost constant work to do so. We have a few happy awake hours a day, but for the rest of the time when he's awake, and not eating, you had better be holding that paci in his mouth or else. I'm still pretty sure it's gas that he's really struggling with, and the Mylicon doesn't seem to be helping much, but I still use it quite frequently anyway. The nurse (yes, Granny, I called) thinks that the trouble is he's not burping after I feed him... and that could be, but I just can't get him to! I tried burping him all the different ways I know of, and I keep trying past 4 minutes - but most of the time he just won't - that's when I give him the medicine. He's also been spitting up a lot lately, and not just a little bit - outfit ruining amounts. He even woke up up in the middle of a sleep cycle last night straining and working on those tummy bubbles - when the paci won't even work, you know he doesn't feel good, and when that happens mommy doesn't feel good either.
Some fun things we have done are going to lunch with Grandma, having another playdate with Claire (some actual interaction went on this time), having daddy home to play today, reading Disneyland books, and having Auntie Jen over for dinner.


(two cute new big boy outfits-one funny face)

Comments

  1. Jess,
    Is Liam breast feed or formula?
    KT:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's breastfed, thats partly why i feel so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...that is tough!!! Caleb was like that after I switched from breast milk to formula...the formula was making him sick.

    If it is gas...this sounds weird, but try messaging his belly with a little pressure. Emma would get gas really bad and the drops didn't work as well on her as they did for Caleb, so the daycare lady tried it one day on her and it worked. So we did that when she would get so nothing would calm her down. It didn't cure it, butit did relieve pressure...haha. And it did help a little. It is worth a try...

    I will keep Liam in my prayers! And you and Todd too! It is so hard when you can't comfort them! I always felt like a rotten mom..but just remember...you do the best you can and your best will always be good enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way...he is so stinkin' cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess,
    Did the nurse mention anything about GE reflux? It is common in babies and can easily be treated with a little medicine. Also, are you hitting him hard enough when you burp him? If you are worried about hitting him too hard, cup your hand a little so there is air space between the palm of your hand and his back. Those are just a couple of other thoughts. Thanks for keeping us posted. Do you think we might be able to Skyp this weekend? GAT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica,
    The sleeping wedge you sawt Lily useing I got at Babies-R-us. It works great and I know Laura foster used one with Alee to help with her acid reflex. It might help Liam with the gas bubbles because they are sleeping at a slant instead of completely flat on their backs. I used it in the bassinet and then I just moved it to the crib with Lily. Lily's fussyness started to go away around 7 weeks. All that worked for her also was the pacifier and I gave her Mylicon after every meal. Starting at 10 weeks and now at 11 weeks old I never use the Mylicon and she only gets the pacifier when we go out or in the car. Hopefully he will out grow the crankyness like Lily. Just know that there is hope around the corner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts